Monday, October 27, 2008

Writing

The more I write, the more I notice all the things around me. Dr. Cotton says it makes us more mindful, more aware, more "present"- that ever-repeated word of his that has so grown in value to me.
He also says it helps in processing the darker side of life. There are some questions that can't be answered- there are some feelings and emotions that are troublesome to articulate. Some things go so deep that even to speak of them is embarrassing. People just don't talk like that. It's too intense, too raw, too much. Treading at the surface is so much more comfortable; it has become so normal. No one wants to hear it. No one wants to see someone run around naked in public, much less do it themselves. Indecent exposure is, in fact, illegal.
So we write. Really, there are few people who don't. We don't have anyone to talk to anymore, no one besides these blank pages.
Here we process all this; here our own thoughts condnese into verbiage that is coherent and proceeds to rain on those who would take the time to think in these tender areas of the mind and feel along with one another those same things we all feel but are too proud to speak of.
And if questions can't be answered, if circumstances can't be explained, and when life doesn't fit into these formulas we've invented, I want to write about it. I want to go there.
So let's go there. Let's write about it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like this, especially that last paragraph. I think it really matters when writing to make sure that you are going beyond the surface, beyond the cliche. Writing is so much more than words on paper that tell you something.

Anonymous said...

Wow, the more I read this, the more I see the profoundity of it all! This is so inspiring to me!

Followers