Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Flyer

Shadows on the pavement
Just one lamp to bring light
No one here, but for me
No moon to shine tonight

Soft footsteps on the street
My own bring fright to me
Thoughts echoing through time
More real than what I see

There beneath the lamplight
Just a blur in my eye?
No, I know what stands there
To myself, I can't lie

My mind full of flashbacks
Bleak visions of my past
The torment! Oh the hurt!
How long must this road last?

A breeze blows on my face
An autumn leaf dances
Much too late to turn back
Enough second chances

Closer to the lamppost
I'm stepping silently
And here inside my chest
My heart beats violently

Someone give me the strength
This path is a hard one
My only hope is this
Tonight I will be done

Finally I reach it
The evasive lamppost
And there beneath the light
A man much like a ghost

I look upon his face
Shocked by what I'm faced with
With skin like a shadow
Surreal but far from myth

A recognized semblance
I see upon his face
So long I ran from him
Tonight is not the case

I looked into his eyes
And this is what I said
"You've held me back too long
From this day forth, you're dead."

The shadow disappeared
My wings sprang forth, I flew
Extraordinary
Is my life birthed anew

2 comments:

Kait said...

Wow, that was really good...really creative. Do you want some suggestions? I want you to do that for me.
Anyway, I think story-poems are less common, so thanks for that!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I wanted to try my hand with story-poems. Yes, please! Give me some advice! I need some constructive criticism.

Followers