Saturday, May 15, 2010

naked feet

So I heard an article on NPR regarding barefoot running staring a scholarly dude who studied a tribal group of people who were characterized as skilled (barefoot) runners. He was a big advocate, passionately asserting that continuous use of running shoes by runners ends up causing chronic stress injuries in the feet and legs. He argues that the human body is designed to absorb the shock and that the stride of running barefoot which causes one to land on the midfoot and ball of the foot is much better than impact on the heel that running shoes cause.

I say all this to say that after reading a bit more and having my interest piqued, and also after a strong desire to get back in shape after a long, sedentary semester doing schoolwork, I am going to slowly try this practice. I gave it a little try today, not far at all- less than a quarter mile probably. It felt weird but didn't cause any pain. I'm going to try to slowly keep adding more time barefoot until my body adapts to this new style of running.

updates to follow. skinny jeans and happy feet, here I come!

6 comments:

cass said...

http://www.fivefinger-vibram.org/womens-fivefigers-performa-c-8_13.html

so you don't get a rock in your foot.

cass said...

backwoods carries a version of them, i can't remember if it was this brand or not.

Maeret said...

I want to go running with you... but does it feel strange running barefoot... or cold, or dirty? I'm interested in this. I have always heard that barefoot is better for you

Allison said...

i have read a number of different articles and discussions regarding barefoot running. i read that it is important to ease into running this way. i'm interested. just haven't tried it yet.

Anonymous said...

you are such a hippie!
Tom

Jen Addis said...

Also, I think you can run faster and have more fun doing it when you're barefoot. :)

Followers