Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Language is Obsolete

*I wrote this my freshman year of college to share at a poetry reading for my intro to lit class. I feel like a was much more naive then, but somehow in a good way. Although it's probably not a style I'd opt for now, I think it's still where my heart is.

Language is Obsolete

A path: forsaken, uncharted, and new
A color: an indistinct, unnamed hue
A question: rhetorical, hanging in the balance
On a shapleless frame, a translucent valence
An answer: perplexing, yet somehow clear
A voice: far away, yet strangely near
A song: the universe moves to the tune
The music, it flows though the sun and the moon
The wind and the rain begin the encore
For this familiar song I've never heard before
A dance: we all are moving along
To the unknown beat of this unlearned song
A presence: invisible, breaking the shell
Tangible enough to see and to smell
A light: a glow in the deepest places
It strangles the dark and shines on the faces
A mother: care without demand
A father: strength with an outstretched hand
A glass: foggy; a window: unclear
But still the face will not disappear
A face: features I cannot see
But I know it so well, it's a part of me
A clock: it ticks but tells no time
A poem: so lovely, but without rhyme
A treasure: once lost, but now it is found
A square: without corners; a circle: unround
A picture: brush strokes lacking their paint
With a pigment so bold that used to be faint
An ocean: storming, raging around
An island: a piece of solid ground
A breeze, a peace, a shadow, a flame
A very close friend without a name
A concept, a feeling, a reality
Surrounding and inside of me

You make words feel so empty and vain
A paradox verbiage cannot explain
Like a secret whispered I cannot repeat
As you have made language obsolete

No comments:

Followers