Friday, August 13, 2010

What did the astronomer say he needed when he was dirty and had bad water pressure in his house?

Meteor Shower! (get it? like, "meaty-er shower"...I'll be here all week)

So a big group of us went out to see the meteor shower Thursday night.It was great because all my boys came and a bunch of my friends. We drove out to Louisberg and when I looked at the sky, I thought I was looking at the milky way from a telescope, it was so clear. I didn't really know what to expect, but given the name I imagined millions of flashes of light raining down throughout the night. It was more like catching a glimpse of a shooting stars quite often, which was almost more gratifying because even though they were the reason we were there and staring at the sky, they seemed somewhat unexpected every time. I couldn't help but squeal like a little pansy in wonder sometimes. They seemed so close to our faces. It was amazing.
I dare not try to capture an event like this on a sub-par camera...but we did see this giant preying (praying?) mantis on the way there at the gas station. The picture doesn't quite capture the size, but trust me, this one was a buick.
 

Last week, before I knew about the meteor shower, I was struck with inspiration while I was grinding coffee at work, so I scribbled this little diddy onto a paper towel. I guess it was pretty cool timing...

With glory and beauty He crowns the night
like moments passing
word without song

bringin closing timing
finding lost won
One
voice
voice
singing
praising, crying

often wondering
waiting
for shooting stars
lying face up staring into nothing


Thank you, L-rd, that I didn't have to wait too long, that I can stare into something. I love you deeply, like squeezing and scraping on my insides. You move me to tears every time.Thank you for your patience through my resistance and immaturity. I feel love for you even as you wear a veil...please let it not be for too long...

3 comments:

Carlye said...

hello! you may not know me, but I'm Sam's sister and Big Cass' sister-in-law. I love reading your blog and find it such a blessing. Keep up your hilarity and brilliant thoughts!

Susan said...

Good times. It makes me remember the meteor shower I sat under, only you captured the beauty of it in your poem so much better. And my spirit resonated with your final paragraph in a major way.

cass said...

Kate, I love you!

Followers