Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Keith Green

I didn't realize there was already a song titled "Your Love Broke Through," the same title as the poem I posted a while ago. It's a Keith Green song. It's not my favorite song of his , but it's worth noting that I sort of plagiarized



My dad used to play Keith Green in the car when he drove us, my brothers and I, to school in the mornings. In my late elementary and high school years I was embarrassed of the kinds of music my dad played in his car (80's-90's CCM) and would turn down his stereo when we pulled up to the school. My brothers and I loved to make fun of Keith Green and his dramatic singing (and hair). But, the other day, my brothers and I were dancing around at my folks' house and ended up putting on some Keith Green (I have no idea how or why that happened). We were getting nostalgic about the days of the ride to school with dad listening to Keith Green. And I was struck by the intensity of his love and passion for the L-rd that comes through in his songs. He sings from a heart that has been forgiven much and therefore loves much. Truly inspired. My heart is moved by his music.

Oh, and not surprisingly, yet I was surprised to find out that Keith and his wife were Messianic Jews! Same old story of a guy who was Jewish and ended up getting into drugs, east Asian mysticism and free love and came to know Jesus in the 70's. He seems to have identified as a Christian.

So yes, I love Keith Green. His piano playing reminds me of Ben Folds and I'm a big fan of piano rock. I love his white man fro, his simple and catchy melodies, his extremely overt and simple lyrics, his sing-songy way of performing, and his essence.What's not to love?



6 comments:

Susan said...

Someone gave me his biography, No Compromise, to read in high school. I remember being really impacted by his passion for the L-rd. I'm sure I didn't pick up the Messianic connection then, though. Good point. Thanks for charing.

Jen Addis said...

I love Keith Green! He and Harry Browning are two people other than Sandy Patty that my parents just loved when we were growing up.. we didn't have a radio in the car or house, so sometimes we listened to those tapes- he is a sweet sweet guy, and I loved that you shared this story. A couple of years ago, my brother and I found one of his CDs and jammed away to it too.. I love the trust that he conveys: like he knows he's loved, so he's going to reciprocate it. It's awesome.

justjess said...

Classic. You're so funny. I too enjoy some Keith every now and then. I went to school with his daughter and she married a friend of mine. Isn't it interesting how small this world really is. I feel like I said that on your last blog?

Lauren Blake said...

Oh Lord you are beautiful is one if my all time fav worship songs. I read his bio in college couldn't put it down stayed up till 6 reading it I was so fired up I went for a run around campus praying at 6am needless to say I am a huge fan we can jam out in the car sometime

Jack said...

Yah...I am a closet Keith Green fan. Surprisingly it was ole Mark Petterson that turned me on to him way back at the beginning of high school. Personal favorite song: You Put this Love in my heart. I think that my feeble attempts at song are still influenced by some of his stuff.

-J- said...

every time i think of Keith Green i think of air planes...

i love his music. he was so talented and loved the Lrd so much. Hes a great writer. glad you enjoy him!

Followers