Thursday, January 13, 2011

waiting

winter's sullen smile
casts frowns upon my brow
winter's waiting calms me
into dreams of windows open

winter's sheets are thin and sharp
they caress like needles

winter comes without a warning
following our special days
of cups of lemonade
and oils of gladness
it makes us hide inside
beneath our paper blankets
where we write our dreams away

we listen closely to the sound
of clacking shoes on hardwood
floors of sanctuaries and courthouses
and places where women walk
when they are not relaxed

we breathe in peace when we see
the wind blow fondly from the south
and feel our insides of dust
and ribs from which we were made

we taste our hunger
and open our mouths
like new hatchlings
blind and waiting

waiting waiting
waiting waiting

for something to arrive

8 comments:

Stephanie Griggs said...

You, my lovely friend, are brilliantly inspirational.

Anonymous said...

well said and i'm impressed.
lauren

Anonymous said...

keep it up. that was beautiful. incredible background. national geo?
allison

Carlye said...

I really really liked this. It made me feel it. You use adjectives that speak to the recesses of my brain. I meant that as a compliment...ha! Love you!

Tom and Leah said...

Without the Winter how can we deeply crave the Spring?

Kait said...

thank you, all. i didn't receive email notification for any of the comments...it's nice to know someone read it.

Al- tru nat geo!

Leah- I feel you on that. Your affinity for the season as well as the anticipation- the waiting- it creates is causing me to "warm up" to it (haha).

Jessica said...

Your words bring the senses alive. I see, feel, and hear the expressions of this poem. Thank you for sharing. Keep writing, dear. (:

Tom and Leah said...

i want raw foods part 2!

Followers