Tuesday, August 2, 2011

our prayer in august air


father of lights
you do not change like shifting shadows
your nearness is the august air
our skin responds in sweat
you stifle us with your heavy nearness

rain rain rain rain
our arms are wide open
our faces looking up
all these good and perfect gifts
are showers from heavenly places

you are the giver of seasons
each one purposed for its own beautiful time
we know nothing of what you have done
beginning to end
we have no idea

who are you?
who are you?
where do you live?
we make our home in you
we look for you, the unseen

we live and move and have our being
in you, the infinite
that which you have set in our hearts
we have not understood
but you stay here close like humid august air

4 comments:

Carlye said...

Wow Kait. Am I starting to sound redundant as I cheer for each and every poem? But, I really do like them as much as I say I do. Really. They are a written word love offering. I wonder what His face looks like as He hears your heart form these words...

Anonymous said...

Happy Very Hot Birthday Kait! A lovely read for a lovely day from a lovely lady :)

~B.Cass

Dillon said...

You have beautifully captured two of my all-time favorite pieces of Scripture.

Jen Addis said...

This is so real Kait! I long for what these words convey so genuinely... actual, tangible humidity :) , and rain rain rain rain. all kinds of rain, physical and spiritual, whole rain.

Followers